[Geany-Devel] Helping Geany move forward: testing

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Fri Apr 28 21:35:31 UTC 2017

Am 27.04.2017 um 22:51 schrieb Vasiliy Faronov:
> Hi all,
>
>  From discussions elsewhere, such as [1], it sounds like one of the
> things holding back Geany development right now is a need for more
> testing.

Helping to test PRs is truly needed, and much appreciated.

However, I do think that Geany lacks also actual developers that cna
merge stuff. I feel the current team is afraid of merging non-trivial
changes, leaving even semi-complex patches to Colomban. Unfortunately
Colomban has little time these days, too, so we're kind of stuck. There
are lots of PRs that have recent activity from the authors and are
tested appropriately but still don't get attention from developers.

So I think we need more people that can push code to Geany directly,
effectively dividing the workload onto more people. It's just too much
work for a single developer, especially these days.

Unless this situation improves, I'm afraid that intensive testing of PRs
is nice but kind of a wasted effort. This is worsened by the fact that
"unpreviliged" testers can't assign labels in Github, it's really hard
to get an overview about which PRs have received extended testing.

In the meantime, we're scaring contributors away because contributes
aren't looked at in a timely manner.

Take this as an application. I would love to actively help if I'm
granted push or github-label-set access.

Best regards.