[Geany-Devel] [FT-plugins] Proposed "Features"

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Sep 1 06:27:19 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-31 08:42 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 31 August 2016 at 11:27, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> On 2016-08-30 06:43 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>>> Having our own callback means one more indirection, and changing the
>>> SciLexer to CONTAINER anyway, so I don't see much advantage just now.
>>>

>> With the `LexClang.so` dynamic lexer I made, dynamic lexers seemed not to
>> fit well (too isolated, too many assumptions that it's a simple dumb lexer
>> and not a semantic-based on, etc) . All I really wanted was a way to disable
>> Scintilla's lexer (ie. switch it to `SCLEX_CONTAINER`) without changing the
>> filetype in Geany, and without doing it behind Geany's back from the plugin.
>
> Agree with Matthew.
>
> The point of not using the standard Scintilla lexer [...]

I wouldn't even call it "standard" lexer. Though it conforms to the same
C++ interface as a few other modern, well-maintained lexers, AFAIK only
handful of Scintilla's lexers (ex. LexCpp) are actually able to compile
as dynamic libraries.

One of the few useful dynamic lexers I've ever seen is Scintillua[0] and
it actually makes some kind of sense to be a generic dynamic lexer here
since it can proxy for other lexers using a completely different
non-Scintilla mechanisms internally (ie. Lua and PEGs).

[0]: http://foicica.com/scintillua/