[Geany-Devel] [FT-plugins] Proposed "Features"

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Aug 31 13:58:40 UTC 2016

> Why not? TM could have separate tags for each known template instance and
> know which of these applies to someAs, based on information provided by a
> ft-plugin. Then the rest would work.

Yes, if Geany can be made to understand that `vector<int>` and
`vector< int >` and `vector <int >` are all the same type so it will
look them up correctly.  In parameterised generics, what used to be a
type name is now a type syntax, and no matter how I type it, its the
same.

As an example Geany trying to lookup something like
`template_name<params>::member` to get the type of `member` has to
apply syntax analysis to the `template_name<params>` part and can no
longer just get a name.

And parameterised generics are available in a number of languages, but
with differing syntax (`name{params}` is a popular one for non-{}
languages) and again with differing semantics.  So thats even more
language specific knowledge to be encoded in Geany, either in TM or in
Geany if TM doesn't provide the facility.

Much easier to ask the language specific plugin what
`template_name<params>::member` or `type_name{params}`  is.

> Besides, template instantiation requires compiling the units IIUC, which is
> probably not gonna happen ever? At least not on every keystroke as done
> currently.

Well, analysing them yes, and it will probably have to happen in a
separate thread/process, so again it isn't something thats going to be
built-in to Geany.