[Geany-Devel] Spawn module API

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Fri Jun 26 17:13:39 UTC 2015

On 26.6.2015 г. 01:47, Lex Trotman wrote:

> Hi Dimitar,

Hi, Lex.

> On 26 June 2015 at 03:13, Dimitar Zhekov<dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It uses quoting internally [...bla-bla-bla unneeded tech details...]
>
> I'm now totally confused, so let me ask the important question directly:

I should have been more terse, sorry. :)

> A user is entering a command into Geany, if the command is going to be
> run by spawn_* will they enter it the same way as they would if the
> command is going to be run by g_spawn*?  In all versions,
> sync/async/pipes or not.

Short answer: yes.

(Long answer: spawning under Unix and Windows was never exactly the
same. When splitting a command line into an argument vector with
g_shell_parse_argv(), and then running it with g_spawn(), or using
g_spawn('/bin/sh', command), which are the standard practices under
Unix, \ will work as escape character, and ' as argument quoter, as
expected under *nix. That doesn't work under Windows, didn't work in
1.23/1.24 either, and I haven't checked any earlier versions.)

--
E-gards: Jimmy