[Geany-Devel] Fwd: Re: Github loses comments

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Tue Jul 7 08:44:12 UTC 2015

Betreff: Re: Github loses comments
Datum: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 00:29:38 -0700
Von: Ivan Žužak <support at github.com>
An: Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org>

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing those details about your workflow.

If you create a comment on a commit which is a part of a pull request,
and later on blow away that commit from the pull request with a rebase +
force-push combo -- then that commit is no longer a part of the pull
request so the comments are no longer shown inline on the pull request page.

However, if you create comments on the pull request's diff itself --
then those comments are tied to the pull request. After you update a
pull request (even with a rebase), those comments will still be around
on the pull request page, but will be shown as "user commented on an
outdated diff a day ago".

So, my suggestion would be to comment on the pull request's diff if
you're using a rebase-based workflow. We understand that commenting on
specific commits is helpful in some situations, and we're looking into
ways to keep comments around on pull request pages even after you rebase
away the commits they were created on. I can't make any promises about
this, but it is on our radar.

Let me know if I misunderstood anything, if you have any questions or if
you want to share more details so that I can pass the feedback to the team.

Cheers,
Ivan