[Geany-Devel] Another set of Plugin API questions

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon May 26 00:29:47 UTC 2014

On 26 May 2014 10:19, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 14-05-25 04:38 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> And my final question: do we support individual includes of Geany's
>> headers that were available? For example, if someone, for some crazy
>> reason wanted to move `struct GeanyDocument` to `document-blah.h` (fake
>> example), is it a plugin bug if they directly included "document.h"
>> where this type was previously, or is it an API bug because we moved the
>> type to another file, even though we added an and include for the new
>> header inside the central include file `geanyplugin.h`?
>>

> For a real life example of this, consider this comment from the recent
> `header-cleanup` merge:
>
> https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/4efcbab33234d13a7c6d1dea2901535d9317e4e1#diff-b0d9f5f851974f08ac7c7bd620163687R28
>
> And the likewise patch/PR for the plugin in GP:
>
> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-plugins/commit/307880c0778e27d191305ec6c68355af2512d1d4
>
> In this case I moved `GeanyApp` which was in `geany.h` (which was exposed to
> plugins via `geanyplugin.h`) to `app.h` of its own, but it broke GeanyLua
> that included all the stuff that `geanyplugin.h` would've provided it,
> individually.
>
> Is this a plugin bug or a public API break/bug?

Since everything is currently documented in its header (in the files
tab) then moving which header its in is an API break (but not an ABI
break).

See previous comment supporting "single include" paradigm.