[Geany-Devel] Let's move to C++98 - Re: Lets move to C99

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Sep 6 11:02:00 UTC 2013

On 05/09/2013 10:48, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 13-09-05 02:26 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:

>>> Do you think there's more C-only programmers out there contributing to
>>> desktop application projects than C++ programmers? I honestly don't know
>>> but my instinct says there isn't.
>>
>> If you mean open source projects, then yes. Somewhat difficult to
>> measure, but some (possibly flawed) stats:
>>
>> Here C has at least twice the share of C++:
>> http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> In terms of noise on the web, here C also has approaching twice that of
>> C++:
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>>

> It would be better (but even harder to measure) to compare desktop
> applications, as I mentioned, like Geany since this is an area where C++
> makes a lot of more sense compared to C, and there's a lot of excellent
> C++ GUI toolkits like Qt, WxWidgets, FLTK, FOX, GTKmm, WTL, etc.
> Compared to C, where GTK+ is about the only actually good toolkit I've
> ever come across.

You don't need to be a GUI programmer to make good contributions to Geany.

>> Also even if there were more C++ programmers, it would still be much
>> easier for a C++ programmer to write C than vice versa.
>>

> Yeah maybe, although if you learned C++ first, using C is fairly foreign
> and weird I'm sure. Also all of the other languages that support
> modern/more programming paradigms would probably make an easier
> transition to C++ than C.

The STL is almost unique. Only D has something similar. Also C++-style
RAII is not commonly found in popular languages.