[Geany-Devel] Improving FiF

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 18:23:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 18:43:41 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 13-10-09 01:01 PM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> >
> > Proposition: move the presentation to glade as much as possible, and
> > fill the content with code, as in any normal program.
> >

> I have done this before in a branch, but just the Glade part, which
> AFAIK is basically unmergable now because of volatility of Glade XML
> file. What I did was I made one single Search dialog in Glade that
> always showed the widgets that are in common between the various search
> dialogs (find, replace, fif), and then the specific options for the
> search type were each in their own container widget so they could be
> hidden/shown depending on which search dialog needs to be shown. There's
> some extra code to setup the dialog to be shown/work for the correct
> search type but it probably dwarfs the amount of code removed by putting
> all of them in the Glade file into a single DRY dialog.

Interesting... though I would probably have followed the current logic,
simply moving the visual part to XML.

> > 3. For non-recursive searches, grep does not allow a directory to be
> > specified instead of file. To work around that, we read the directory,
> > back-parse all --include=*.x patterns, and match them manually.
> >
> > Proposition: grep -rl --include=*.c --exclude-dir=[^.]*
> > --exclude-dir=.?* void . :)
> >
> > We pass our Directory as a workind  directory to spawn, and the
> > recursive search already uses . as a grep FILE argument.
> > --exclude-dir is supported since more than 5 years.
> >

> Is there any reason we cannot just walk the directory/subdirectories
> ourselves and search the files using GRegex stuff?

There's nobody willing to do it?..

> GIO/GFile has all the stuff needed to walk a
> directory tree and open files both asynchronously and portably IIRC.

Looking at the "spawn" problems, which are realy GIOChannel
set_flags and/or add_watch problems, I woudn't be so sure about that.

Also, the current FiF doesn't block Geany. If you want to keep that,
you'll need a 2nd thread or an event source, and neither would be so
easy to write.

--
E-gards: Jimmy