[Geany-Devel] Drop GtkStock and use symbolic icons

Yosef Or Boczko yoseforb at xxxxx
Fri Oct 11 00:47:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:27 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 13-10-10 05:14 PM, Yosef Or Boczko wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Colomban Wendling
>> <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

>>> How does the UI look outdated?  Using named icons won't change a thing,
>>> in the end they all use the theme's icons.
>>

>> The icons in the menus and in the buttons in the dialogs isn't add any
>> information.
>> I not think the 'OK' icon is add information there isn't in the string
>> „Save”.
>>

> So why have anything that doesn't add information? We could use text-only
> toolbar, force off user's theme choice and use plain/stock theme, remove
> choice of syntax highlighting colours, remove icons from the symbols tree,
> hard-code the font family and size to the Geany developers preference,
> etc...
>
> In reality it doesn't matter what we think, or what the GNOME design team
> thinks, such stuff is extremely subjective and personal and the only apps
> that need to care about GNOME design manifesto are GNOME applications
> themselves.

It not right, you not adds things without any reason.
In the toolbar there isn't place to text, so use icons with a tooltip instead.
In button in dialog have a place to text, so not need a icon and a tooltip.
Syntax Highlighting colours is for **highlighting** the code, and the icons
in the symbols tree is for distinguish between kinds of symbols (yes, is not
matter what is the icons in the symbols tree, it just need to be different),
etc - for each thing in the UI have any reason!

> P.S. As you can tell this subject is extremely controversial outside of
> GNOME-land (or at least inside of Geany-land), please don't mistake rants
> for anything personal against your own valid opinions :)

Before GNOME 3.10 I was used the icons in the buttons and in the menus,
but I see is realy ugly and not useful.