[Geany-Devel] Let's use Vala

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Nov 13 02:07:22 UTC 2013

On 13-11-12 05:33 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> [...]
>
>>   Maybe these comments refer more to the change of direction thread, since
>>> it sounds like vala compiles to C anyway, and would just be extending
>>> the way we can code things rather than re-writing or re-defining what we
>>> are doing.
>>>

>> Sort of, but it's also a tool that can greatly facilitate the changes
>> being discussed in the other thread.
>>

> Its not simply starting to use a new language that will improve things, its
> the plan for where and how (Vala, C++, Haskell etc) will be used to improve
> the software design that will give the benefits.  And thats indeed what I
> am trying to get to with the other thread.

Actually using an easier, more expression, vastly safer, and severly
reduced lines of code language would seriously improve things. It would
make people not afraid to touch the code/re-factor as new things are
added/removed, it facilitate organizing the source code better and more
rigourously encapsulated/isolated from the other parts, and it would
greatly reduce the amount of manpower and brainpower required to make
any significant source code changes.

OT: You keep saying "design" a lot, can you give a concrete example of
what you're talking about/thinking of? Like if you had to just
off-the-cuff say one thing concretely how you'd personally design/change
something (assume you are the sole/BDFL developer), just to make sure
we're all talking about the same thing (maybe respond on the other
thread, if you're willing).