[Geany-Devel] Lua script idea: vim overlay

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Wed Feb 6 07:27:27 UTC 2013

Am 06.02.2013 07:06, schrieb Thrawn:
> I'm thinking of producing a Lua script to give a vim-style interface
> to Geany. Anyone interested?
>
> My thoughts at this point are that you'd invoke the script using a
> keyboard shortcut, probably Escape, and it would then grab all of
> your keystrokes and recognise (a subset of) vim commands, until you
> issue a shortcut to exit the script.
>
> Most vim commands are pretty easy to translate into cursor movement
> and copy/cut/paste operations. Insertion could be achieved simply by
> placing the cursor and exiting the script; pressing Escape would
> appear to be jumping back to 'command mode', but would actually be
> re-invoking the script.
>
> Anyone's thoughts on whether this would be worth making?

Maybe you like to have a look at commander-plugin which already might is
a good starting point. Personally I doubt the lua-plugin is a good base
for such a feature as it's nearly unmaintained since some time.

Cheers,
Frank