[Geany-Devel] Geany using standard types

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Aug 18 10:49:44 UTC 2013

On 18 August 2013 19:32, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It was pointed out to me on IRC that I went into too much details/patches
> and muddied the original question, so I propose it again more simply:
>
> "Do you agree it would be better for Geany to use standard C types as
> opposed to GLib types which are typedef'd to the exact same thing?" (ex.
> gint->int, glong->long, gchar->char etc.)

Personally I can't find any great positives or negatives, but then I've
trained my eyes to read gint as int, others may find standard code more
attractive (or vice versa).

What I would be worried about is changing the existing code to use the
standard types.  Matthew has kindly illustrated the size of such a change,
and while I'm sure 99.99% of the changes are fine, I would worry about the
few places it might not be semantically equivalent, no matter how good the
regexes that made the change are.  The size of the change means we are
never going to manually inspect it, and the places it will go wrong are not
obvious, so we can't easily point to examples.

So whilst I wouldn't advocate changing the existing code (at least en bloc)
I don't see any reason for disallowing standard types in new code and
changes to existing code as it is touched.