[Geany-Devel] geany-plugins fail to build with msvc

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Wed Apr 17 16:41:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 22:21:25 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On 16/04/13 20:26, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When I run 'python waf configure' under Windows, it detects msvc before
> > gcc, but 'python waf make' produces lots of:
> >
> > cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option
> > '-mms-bitfields'
> >
> > warnings, and then stops with:
> >
> > bibtex.c
> > ...\geanylatex\src\templates.h(81) : error C2143: syntax error :
> > missing ')' before '*'
> > [...]
> >
> > Do we support msvc in the first place?..
>
> I'd say not yet.

Then can you, or somebody else familiar with waf, forbid the detection
of msvc?

> I don't have MSVC and so could not test it. Do you have any clue where
> the -mms-bitfields comes from? I couldn't find any reference in the
> whole repository.

gtk+: gtkmain.c: #ifdef G_PLATFORM_WIN32 check_sizeof_GtkWindow(): ...
g_error("... this probably means that you have compiled your code with
gcc without the -mms-bitfields switch, or [...] unsupported compiler.")

> If the errors are only because of a naming clash, this would be quite
> easy to fix I guess.

Unless it barks on any C++ keyword used as an identifier. With a mixed
C/C++ compiler, that's possible, and MS are not exactly famous for
following the standards strictly...

> Btw, does Geany build with MSVC?

Hmmm, never tried. I'll check it tomorrow (unless I forget).

--
E-gards: Jimmy