[Geany-devel] patch: separated session/local config

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Mon Jul 30 17:10:24 UTC 2012

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:16:03 +0300
Vladi Belperchinov-Shabanski <cade at bis.bg> wrote:

> I keep my ~/.config/geany dir under git so I can
> distribute my environment prefs on all machines
> I use. unfortunately there are some config entries
> which always collide since they are "local" to the
> current machine. [...]

If you are using Geany under *nix, with a GUI that supports sessions
(kde, xfce, maybe gnome), you can do the following:

1. Patch geany for x11 session management - see the patch tracker.

2. Don't Quit it, but logout (shutdown, restart) instead. The sm will
save your configuration in a separate .conf file.

3. Using Quit, or Edit -> Preferences -> OK / Apply, will save your
current settings in geany.conf - including the "local" ones.

Hope this can be somewhat useful to you.

--

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:12:29 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> However, maybe splitting "session" things out might help towards a
> better support for saving multiple instance configurations, and if we
> see that such changes would help on that subject too, the noise might be
> worth.  Dimitar, Eugene, Nick, Matthew, Lex..., thoughts?

The sm patch supports any number of separate instances, each with it's
own configuration.

Putting more settings into the project files will help - that's their
raison d'etre in the first place.

As of multiply instances that share their configuration to some(?)
extent, we had this discussion at least twice, and could not reach a
conclusion.

--
E-gards: Jimmy