[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Sep 24 12:49:21 UTC 2011

[..]
> I too think there should be a notification. But I think turning it of
> per-file (without touching the actual setting) is also good and the user
> will appreciate that.

Per file is a good idea.

> Note that it would be turned off in the case symbol generation takes a long
> time, so it wouldn't go unnoticed if it's deactivated.

 I'm always surprised what users can overlook, but if we notify them,
it doesn't matter how unobservant they are :)

>> Colomban is right in trying to evaluate where Nicks problem is first,
>> thats far more likely to be productive, this sort of thing is the last
>> option not the first.
>>

> I agree.

Also Matthew's perceived slowness with lots of tags loaded needs
checking, is it reloading them all the time (as Colomban seemed to
suggest) or does the symbol table used by tagmanager have O(1),
O(log), O(N) or worse performance.