[Geany-devel] Proposal: Project settings split

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Wed Nov 2 17:54:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 09:39:48 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 November 2011 05:19, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:21:25 +1100
> > Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > At which point will you delete the unneeded session files?..
>
> When they fall off the recent projects list.

For a small number of projects, that can keep the session file for
years after the project is gone. Not a big deal though.

For many projects, well, you'd better max the recent count...

> Am 01.11.2011 23:39, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> >
> > The point is to get the session file out of the project tree, so no
> > this defeats the purpose.
> >

> The point was to get the file list (i.e. what would be in that session
> file) out of VCS while keeping the project settings in.
>
> This works with separate files even if in the same directory, since
> every reasonable VCS supports ignoring certain files (svn:ignore,
> .gitignore).

Of course. Personally I prefer to keep my projects clean from at least
the object files and executables, but the IDEs do not hesistate to put
there various .suo, .dsw, autogenerated .mak, entire directories even.
Ignoring one more file (or not putting in on VCS in the first place) is
hardly of any significance.

--
E-gards: Jimmy