[Geany-devel] Status of SM-Branch

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Thu Jun 30 07:31:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:02:48 +0200
Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I saw that the SM-branch is merged with trunk on a regular basis, but
> not sure what's the current status of that branch. Can someone help me
> out there?
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

Hi Frank.

Well, I periodically merge trunk into SM branch, because

- I use SM branch myself and, at the same time, I want to try new
  features which become available in Geany;
- the more often you perform the merge, the easier it is to resolve
  conflicts (which occur rather often because SM contains many changes).

The status of the branch is a hard question :)  This branch contains

- session management support;
- minor improvements in project handling etc.;
- some experiments like frequent saving of recent file list to the
  file, so that no recent files are lost when several Geany instances
  are running side by side.

Now

- a better session management support is implemented by Dimitar (if a
  decision is made to include session management in Geany, I'd prefer
  this implementation to be chosen);
- experiments should not go to trunk in any case.

So, the only useful thing in SM branch is the minor improvements.
Even if someone has time to discuss them and decide to include them
in trunk, it may be rather hard to cleanly extract the necessary
patches from SM so that they apply to trunk.

Best regards,
Eugene.