[Geany-devel] Adding a list of filetypes into devel documentation?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Thu Aug 18 06:58:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:39:17 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 08/17/2011 12:30 PM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
>

> > As discussed on some other place this is most likely something
> > needs to be done on compiletime and, well, I don't see any reasons
> > why coding for Geany 0.19 or 0.18.
> >

> Because a lot of people use packages from their distro, which may be
> quite out of date (ex, up to 2 years for Ubuntu LTS), so they might
> still be using one of those older versions.

I understand your thoughts here. Its the old issue with outdated
packages here. Most of them will not compile their plugins at their own
and the distribution will most likely not add new plugins. Debian is
having backports for such matters, but Ubuntu is missing something like
that (at least I know of). I don't know how SuSE, RH/Fedora, * is
handling this, but they could use it to also updated Geany.

However, once a user is compiling its own plugin, they can also compile
Geany. The dependencies are most likely similar and the efforts not
much bigger, once you have set up gcc, libgtk2-dev etc.

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/