[Geany-devel] Per-filetype indentation settings

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Aug 13 20:17:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

Recent bug report #3390435 [1] remembered me about per-filetype
indentation settings.  This would remove hard-coded settings we have for
Makefile and Fortran 77, moving the setting to the filetype definitions,
as well as allowing further per-filetype tweaking -- e.g. we could
imagine that somebody would like to have Python set to "4 spaces" to
follow PEP8.

I have come with an initial implementation and would like your wise
criticism and design opinions.

A few trivial questions:
 * should the settings be "indent_type" and "indent_width" under
[settings] rather than adding a new section?
 * do you think it's sensible to reset the indentation settings when
switch from a filetype that had specific settings?
 * do you think the filetype-specific settings should override the
auto-detection? (the second patch makes auto-detection prevail)

So, what do you think of the feature, the implementation, the missing
parts, the universe and everything?

Cheers,
Colomban

[1]