[Geany-devel] Me, Geany and the future

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Aug 11 23:42:22 UTC 2011

On 11 August 2011 23:49, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:38:24 +0200
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>
>> Well, well, well... I thought a bit about it, and I think I'll accept
>> the position if others do.  The problem for me is that, ATM, I don't
>> have great plans for Geany's future -- meaning I don't know what I think
>> should be added, changed or greatly improved in Geany in the near future.
>
> Neigter do I. Enrico leaves us a great light IDE, and while there is
> room for improvement (x11 sm, locale names etc.), I don't see the next
> Big Thing.

Agree Enrico and all the original developers, translators etc have
done a great job.

> OTOH, there are hundreds of open tracker items - enough for many months.

True, but I would re-suggest one addition that will probably be a "big
thing" to implement, multiple windows.  I still need emacs some times
for that reason.

It is common to need to look at and edit different parts of the same
file, or look at and edit the header/spec at the same time as the
body.  Whilst splitting the window helps, it is limited to one screen
and to match one size dimension of the other window, it would be
better to allow multiple windows which can be sized and positioned at
the user's preference.  Scintilla provides the capability to do that
but so much of Geany assumes one window that I think it might be a big
thing to do, cutting across all the other incremental things.

Note: why not multiple instances?  Can't edit different parts of the
same file, clashes over changing preferences, locking or corrupting
shared files...