[Geany-devel] GOject Introspection for Geany

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Sep 4 13:00:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

Le 03/09/2010 16:46, Felix Kaser a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone is working on gobject introspection for the
> geany api. I would like to write a geany plugin with vala and in order
> to do so I need language bindings for vala. Instead of writing them
> manually I would like to use gobject introspection to generate the bindings.
>
> Has anybody worked on this already? Any feedback and thoughts welcome.
I'm not sure that GIR would work really well here, because of the
non-library approach of the Geany plugin API. For Vala it'd probably
work because Vala finally writes C code, but I don't think it would work
for other languages such as JS, Python or others.
Basically, that would be because the plugin API is no direct functions,
but function pointers in exported structures, what the backend would
need to know, and I doubt it's easy with GIR -- and the C API is
basically macros that wraps that.
So not sure GIR is the better choice -- that said, I would be wrong :)

Well, beside this, I worked a while ago on a little hand-crafted Vala
VAPI file for Geany [1], and although it's probably buggy because not
well-tested, it worked. I've not told anyone about it because it isn't
production-ready, but I unfortunately haven't found the time to work on
it since then...
But since we got here, what would Geany developers think of supporting
this kinda officially if it shows to work well? It would need to be
maintained up-to-date (which means updating it when the C API changes
and/or grows); but it would allow to write plugins in Vala :)

Regards,
Colomban

[1] http://gitorious.org/geany-vala-binding/