[Geany-devel] About translation of plugin name and description

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun May 16 09:30:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010 19:11:35 +0200, Colomban wrote:

> > > Well… for them, why wouldn't they be translated even before being
> > > loaded then? Still strange to me :/
> >
> > Because those plugins don't have a separate message catalogue but
> > instead use the one from Geany, i.e. all strings within those
> > plugins are already loaded once you start Geany.
> Yes, but then why would not they be translated /even before/ being
> loaded? I mean, at the time of the plugin's _set_info() call, the
> translation catalogue is already set up, and then calls to gettext
> should work properly -- and they do with the current version.

Sorry, I think I was unclear.
Those plugins shipped with Geany will show translated name and
description in the plugin manager even before they are actually loaded.
This is because, as said, they use Geany's gettext domain and its
message catalogue. Loading or not those plugins doesn't matter,
translation-wise.

For external plugins it's different. Those are first translated after
they have been loaded, i.e. if you open the plugin manager dialog and
haven't any external loaded, their name and descriptions are in English
(C). If a plugin is loaded and you open the dialog again, the name and
description of this plugin should be localised.

(As you know the above about external plugins is a bit different for
the geany-plugins project as they all use the same gettext domain but
I think you got the point anyways.)