[Geany-devel] Positioning of new editor's tabs

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu May 13 01:06:31 UTC 2010

My 2c worth below.

On 13 May 2010 09:54, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to add the possibility for new editor's tabs to be added
> before/after the current tab, since I'm often annoyed by tabs added far
> from my working one. This is quite easy to do, but I have some questions
> about how to make this a preference.

Personally I prefer it to come up in a fixed position, but thats why its
controlled by a preference :-)

> Currently, the tab positioning (before/after all other tabs) is controlled
> by the boolean preference tab_order_ltr. Fine, but not to extend it. Then,
> I see two ways to go:
> 1. Change this to an integer (or something) that represent an enumeration:
> before all, before current, after all, after current.
> 2. Add a second preference to choose whether the tabs are added
> before/after the current or all tabs.
>
> I think that 1 is probably a little better from the user's point of view
> (not sure), but it would probably be a pain to implement, because it would
> need to change the type of a preference... the problem is to keep
> compatibility with previous configuration version.
>
> 2 is then probably the way to go;

Agreed

> the pref UI could even hide the
> complexity. But then, some question comes to my mind:
> a. Which name give to this preference?

tab_order_beside then tab_order_ltr says which side.

> b. How to show it to the user?

Placement of new tabs: X at end X beside current
                                         X left       X right

But then not everyone likes my UI designs :-)

> Then as usual, I ask for your wise answers :)
> And as a bonus question, what do you think of the feature?

Not for me, but if it annoys you enough to do it, why not.