[Geany-devel] Improving PHP parser

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 7 15:54:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:50:42 +0000, Nick wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 05:28:32 -0800 (PST)
>Can Koy <cankoy at ymail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anybody working on improving PHP parser in tagmanager?
>> If not, I intend to have a look at it this weekend. Primary
>> objective is to add calltips. I could use some example code or any
>> other pointer about regex callbacks in ctags (other than the sample
>> in ctags).
>
>I haven't used callbacks but I suspect you will need to use a full
>parser, i.e. like the #if 0 part. As I don't use PHP myself I can't
>remember what issue there was with the parser, but I never liked the

IIRC the old, 'real' parser which is currently if 0'ed had problems
with PHP5. Can, if you like to improve it, I guess tons of users would
highly appreciated that as Harold already said.
And I think it's worth reviving the if 0'ed code and make it work with
PHP5 and then add the mentioned features. The regex code basically
works but as you all know it has quite some serious limitations. PHP is
just too complex to be parsed with a few line-based regular expressions.

I personally have the same problem as Nick, I'm not a PHP guy :).