[Geany-devel] Git switch

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Mon Jun 14 08:16:17 UTC 2010

I cannot answer any of the questions because I also have no experience
in running a git project.

But what I know is that we are actually less depending on a hoster.
Because of git's DVCS nature, everyone has the complete repo locally and
can work offline with it. Git hosting is something for convinience (i.e.
web interface for source browsing). We wouldn't actually *need* a hoster
at all, but of course it would be nice (with hosting, cloning other
people's repos is simplified extremely).

This is one of the strong points of git. Even if the hoster is not very
dependable, since the actual repo is on everyone's system, the hoster
could be dead for a few days or we could switch the hoster easily
without losing anything.

Best regards.