[Geany-devel] Git switch

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sat Jun 12 19:30:24 UTC 2010

2010/6/12 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:09:49 +0100, Nick wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:11:48 +0200
>> Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

>> > Although most, if not all, geany developers use git, don't they?
>>
>> Do you mean git-svn? The Git repo is not writable.
>>
>> I don't use Git for Geany, but wouldn't mind if everyone else wants to
>> switch to it.
>
> Me neither.
> If we want, we can switch to GIT.
>
> Since my experience with GIT is very limited so far, I don't mind which
> way we want to go and how to organise the repository regarding branch
> strategies and such.
> The only requirement/wish I have that we don't host the repository on
> gitorious or github or such social coding platforms, that sucks.

Well, I have no experience with repo.or.cz, but my feeling is that
this is just a "classical" type of hosting where contributors cannot
easily create their own clones and have them hosted. Myself I'm a
hater of anything that has "social" in its title and all the chatting
nonsense (facebook, skype, ICQ to name some), but gitorious and github
are much more "useful" than "social".

This choice will also influence the workflow in which you will use
git. If contributors cannot have their branches hosted easily, then
the the Linus model (one pusher pulling from contributors) will be
harder to realize.

Regards,

Jiri