[Geany-devel] Build system branch 2.0

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Feb 6 23:27:55 UTC 2010

On 6 February 2010 23:47, Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 06.02.2010, 21:21 +1100 schrieb Lex Trotman:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have created a branch for further development of the build system called bs2.
>>
>> I have added the current state of the design spec to the doc directory
>> and a temporary Python prototype implementation of the configure
>> dialog in scripts (since I know how much you all hate reading GUI
>> descriptions).  It is intended to delete this before merge but it will
>> be useful to get ideas on making it usable, for example which fields
>> should be visible normally and which only in advanced mode.
>>
>> @Nick as the padding guru you might have some suggestions, in my
>> opinion applying padding to rows containing buttons or combo boxes
>> makes a disproportionate increase in size, so for now I've taken it
>> off, see what you think.
>>
>> Running the script (python build_dialog_prototype.py) produces a
>> window with two buttons, one produces the dialog as it will be when no
>> project is open and one as it will be when a project is open. Clearly
>> the dialog has no code or data behind it, but the "advanced" and "show
>> all" buttons work. Apply, cancel and ok all close the dialog.
>>
>> Please be warned, if you havn't read the spec (which is the only
>> documentation until the manual is updated) that this looks complex
>> when you first see it in advanced mode.  But the dialog does no more
>> than bring together settings that already exist in various hidden
>> places in Geany.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>
> Wouldn't it have had to be easier to design that with glade instead of
> writing python scripts? - Or alternative, a pen and paper? ;)

Pen & paper is hard to share via e-mail :) & I have problems with
Glade.  The good thing about the Python approach is that I can just
translate the GTK calls into C when it is ok.

> When seeing this from a user point of view there is very much
> information to enter. A bit "overload" on the screen - in special the
> advanced mode. Yes, you warned me. ;)
>
> As you said, this is a prototype which maybe needs more work. - Also
> from the user point of view and in GUI design. Just a suggestion: You
> could work with the GUI element from GTK which allows to extend the
> dialog via clicking on the arrow (as in the Find or Replace dialog in
> Geany) :)

Thats a good suggestion, it would reduce the "hit you in the face"
factor as only one part needs unrolling at a time, I'll try it.