[Geany-devel] build API - Re: SF.net SVN: geany:[4367] trunk

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Oct 27 11:46:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:48:27 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> The documented functions in build.h were intended to be added to the
> API after discussions with Enrico in the past.  Not sure why they
> weren't.  What needs to be done to do that?

Sorry I hadn't raised this before.

Basically there are 2 issues:

1. The proposed build API is not designed to be developed in future
without breaking the ABI. See:
http://geany.org/manual/dev/hacking.html#plugin-api-abi-design

BTW, I only wrote that after you designed the build API ;-)

Not breaking the ABI is a goal of any future plugin API extensions, so
we don't have to rebuild all plugins so often.

2. Not sure if the proposed API functions are the best/tidiest way to do
it, it would be best if there was a plugin that wanted to use these
functions so we can see what is needed. We need to avoid wanting an API
change in future, this is much more important than breaking the ABI.
Also the build code still hasn't been tested in a release; not sure if
we want to change the implementation (maybe not), some of which may be
exposed to the API.

Regards,
Nick