[Geany-devel] Build system glitches

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Oct 25 23:33:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

> Sorry for so few feedback, real-life is biting, as you know.

Life, you've just got to live with it :-)

> I see your colleagues use-case but also please remind that not every
> user has such special needs. The goal of Geany's build system always
> was to provide a simple way of quickly compiling/build/running the
> current file for quick testing, not to fulfil a whole build setting
> requirement.
> The current build system just went into another direction and I think
> more and more if we shouldn't move some parts out either into plugins
> or something else, just to get it more to the previous way where it was
> usable without hours of reading...
>
> Don't get me wrong, it's great what you have done but I'm just in doubt
> whether this is what we want in Geany. But also I realise that I'm kind
> of late and so probably changing it isn't worth at all.
> No idea.

Well this raises the question of what Geany is intended to be.
Quoting from the About Geany website:

1. Fast lightweight IDE (not just editor!)
2. Minimal dependencies
3. language independent
4. platform independent
5. not tied to particular tools or philosophies

Nowhere does it say that Geany is intended to only support simple
developments.  Perhaps its a surprise (hopefully pleasant :-) to you
that people want to use your little IDE for large and/or complex
developments.  That is because Geany seems to target something
different to Eclipse, Netbeans, Anjuta, KDE or plain editors.

So it is a concern that you seem to be expressing a desire to limit
the capability to support complex software developments (if I misread
your above sorry).

I totally agree with you that simple things should be simple to do,
but complex things should still be possible, not limited.

The fact that the current UI doesn't meet the "simple things are
simple to do" requirement is exactly why I am looking at it again,
sometimes you just have to have other people  try a UI before you find
its hard to use.

As for implementing parts as plugins vs built-in, don't care, but I
would have thought it was difficult for a plugin to add *flexibility*
that isn't already in the Geany core.