[Geany-devel] Build system glitches

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Oct 13 21:42:24 UTC 2009

Sorry that I just ditch in, I just want to point something out from a
user pov.

Lex Trotman schrieb:

>>> 3. from user preference (geany.conf)
>>>
> As soon as there is more than one file in the program, the run command
> is usually no longer dependent on the file, you usually want to run
> the main program. You don't want to have to always switch back to the
> "main" file before selecting run, so the command needs to be able to
> be set somewhere that is file independent

I disagree with that. That's what a project/session is for. If there's
no project open, it should be document-sensitive/filetype-sensitive
(unfortunately that's not entirely the same).

To me, there's no such thing as a "main file" if I have various random
files open. I use project if I'm to lazy for switching files and the run
command is the same.

For me a project is a collection of related files. I don't have a bunch
of open files open and want the same run command for all if I do not
have a project open.

> Well it *should* still "just work" by default, the only problem you've
> got is that the configure dialog edits 3 not 2 and the more we talk
> about it the more obvious it is that there is a need to choose which
> one to edit rather than having it fixed (whichever way we fix it it
> will always be wrong for someone).
>
> The combobox I described above would choose to edit 2 or 3 in the
> build menu "set build commands" dialog and 4 or 5 in the project
> dialog "build" tab.

I don't see a need for a checkbox here. a) use global run command per
project, or b) filetype specific commands.

I agree with Enrico here. I stumbled on this quite a bit times already.
Something just overrode my html run command (i.e. open in in a browser).
I needed to change it back for no apparent reason (I had no project open).

Best regards.