[Geany-devel] ANN: Configurable Build Menu Alpha in SVN

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Sun Aug 16 14:06:25 UTC 2009

Lex Trotman schrieb:
> [...]
>>> used, and they won't get killed (they migrate to be children of init).
>>>  The overall impact is not well defined, but killing a top level make
>>> may leave most of the build still running.   Now setting the build
>>> menu items sensitive and so enabling another build is risky.
>>>
>>> And the results of builders other than make is even less well defined.
>>>

>> The Rockbox build system (see [1]) has a way to kill builds (even those
>> which are started with -jX) using this snippet of perl code. Note that kill
>> here is a perl function, which does IIUC killing the childs for us (it kills
>> the process groups if the signal parameter is negative). I don't know if it
>> helps us though.
>> Could one try call the perl function from within geany with a crude
>> hack/magic?
>>

> Um no, that would require Geany to have a dependency on Perl, and I
> doubt that such a requirement would be acceptable to the general Geany
> community.
>
> I havn't written perl for a while but this seems to depend on the
> global builds variable, whats that got in it and where was it set??
>

>> sub killchild
>> {
>>   my ($id) = @_;
>>
>>   return if (not defined $builds{$id});
>>
>>   my $pipe = $builds{$id}{pipe};
>>   $read_set->remove($pipe);
>>
>>   $busy -= $builds{$id}{cores};
>>
>>   my $pid = $builds{$id}{pid};
>>   kill -9, $pid;
>>   tprint "Killed build $id\n";
>>   waitpid $pid, 0;
>>
>>   my $dir = "$cwd/build-$pid";
>>   if (-d $dir) {
>>       tprint "Removing $dir\n";
>>       rmtree $dir;
>>   }
>>
>>   delete $builds{$id};
>> }
>>

> I actually got interested in adding the configurability to Geany build
> system when an organisation I was consulting to was using Geany but
> running builds on a server farm with several versions of Linux, AIX,
> HP-UX, Solaris and several windows versions. And different pieces of
> software from many different sources used many different build
> systems, hence the need for configurability.
>
> Of course such remote jobs won't be touched by any signals.
>
> According to the reference you provided on Rockbox it does remote
> builds by copying data from SVN and then copying the results back.  So
> a remote build can be cancelled by its special server on the remote
> system (I guess thats where the perl snippet came from) and thrown
> away and no corruption is possible, but our system used shared sources
> for all machines and locks to control multiple build interactions.
> Killing things could leave locks about and block builds until someone
> removed them manually.
> Worse some pieces of software could corrupt the build tree if
> cancelled (sure they were lousy build scripts, but we used software
> from lots of places and didn't want to touch such things unless

Killing is done in the client (the snippet came from rbclient.rb). The
server just sends a message CANCEL, the client in turn calls killchild.

Requiring perl is indeed suboptimal, but on the other hands it's really
part of the default installation in 99% of all distros, and just about
the same percentage of projects require perl already. But I understand
that this is unwanted :)

> While such a system is unusual, it made me very aware that the area of
> child processes in Unix (ignoring windows) is very flexible and not
> always fully standardised ( eg Linux pre 2.6 is not exactly POSIX).
> Remember even if it doesn't run something remote, a build could easily
> spawn background processes that can't be killed from the parent
> because they are not part of the same process group, so if the perl
> function only kills the group it still won't get them.
>
> And your killall only works because you know that you are the only
> make running on your machine, it would be considered impolite if you
> were to kill someone else's make by accident :-)

I know, hence I'm searching for something better. See, I'm running a
rockbox build client. Natually, I will kill those makes too if it was
running at this very moment.

> Its an area where caution is required to avoid real problems.  If you
> have a solution that works for you, great!! Configure it for yourself,
> but it can't be offered as a general solution unless safe (oh, and
> useful ;-)

I actually played around a bit, and got a bit farther.

In my quick hack, I use kill(0, SIGTERM) to kill everything that has
geanys pid as parent. To not kill geany itself too, I changed the signal
handler to something which does nothing (and reverting to SIG_DFL
afterwards).
That works well, although I don't know which other process geany
creates. Also, I think this is really a bad hack :( (isn't it?

What I'm wondering is why doing "kill(build_info.pid, SIGINT)" doesn't
work. Isn't that the same as doing CTRL+C when doing make in a terminal
manually?

>>> I think we need to consider this a bit more first to find a safe
>>> general solution.
>>>
>>> In the interim why don't you configure an extra execute command to run
>>> the "killall -9 make".  It can then run asynchronously whilst the
>>> build is running.
>>>

>> Because my run (and build) command list is full ;)
>>

>  I keep running out too :-D
>
> With the build-system branch the hidden preference
> number_exec_menu_items can be set to increase the number of execute
> commands, see the build-system version of geany.html preferences file
> format section.

The geany.html is currently broken here due to svn merge (which took
surprisingly long, some 30min) :D But I did not know that, thanks!