[Geany-devel] Removing deprecated macros (was Re: Further API changes before 0.15)

Yura Siamashka yurand2 at xxxxx
Fri May 23 18:16:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:49:18 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Maybe we could drop almost all the pre-0.14 deprecated stuff. The more
> recent deprecated macros I added to make porting easier. But we should
> be clear why if we do this - e.g. do the macros cause name conflicts for
> plugin authors often?

I encounter name conflicts few times, it is rare enought to be annoying. But why keep useless garbage since:
1) Every old plugin just have to be modified to compile with new API anyway.
2) Do you know plugins that still use them?

> One reason why I haven't dropped the old function macros yet is because
> sometime I can imagine having an auto-generated wrapper library for the
> geany_functions function pointers, so plugins can just write the
> function name like in the core. Not sure how difficult it would be to
> auto-generate yet.
How these macroses will help with auto-genearating? If some script generate code it should not matter what to generate.

--
Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>