[Geany-devel] Customizable editor popup menu

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Aug 7 10:13:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:29:42 +0200, Jean-Philippe
<skateinmars at skateinmars.net> wrote:

> Enrico Tröger a écrit :

> >> Hi, sorry I didn't try it before.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately it seems there is no ui_editor_menu.xml in the
> >> branch, so geany segfaults while trying to open it. Maybe I forgot
> >> something here ?
> >
> > No, I forgot to check in the UI definition file. Sorry.
> > Now it's in the SVN repository and should work. The segfault when
> > starting Geany without this file is known but I just didn't work on
> > that as long as we don't know whether we'll use this code. It's not
> > a big deal to fix but it's one of the last steps.
>
> All right, I gave it a shot, considering the "proof of concept" state.
>
> The XML idea seems fine but there are obvious issues like creating
> submenus and personalized actions, which only seems possible by
> editing ui_manager.c. However, I was successfully able to add an
> "Insert" menu and pu the insert menus in it with my pitiful C skills

When you want to change the menus and accept recompiling the source
code, you can do this currently much more comfortable with glade (=
2.10). But I think when making the GUI more user-configurable
recompiling the source is a no-go.

> and it only broke the "dummy" insert submenus :-). So it seems
> plugins may easily add menu actions with this system. As for the

Well, for plugins it is easier to add menu items with the current way
of the implementation.

> format itself I don't really understand the need for an <ui> root
> node as only one <popup> node is used but it may be a GtkUIManager

It is a GtkUIManager convention (not 100% sure but I think so, if in
doubt, read the DTD, it's specified in the API docs :D)

> convention. Currently geany uses the system ui_editor_menu.xml when
> the user one is not well-formed, maybe a warning should be also
> raised.

Yes, good idea.

> As for the keybindings accelerators they work fine here (Ubuntu 8.04
> with GTK+ 2.12.9, GLib 2.16.4), they show up and I can access the
> corresponding menu/action with my keyboard.

Hmm strange. But after all, this isn't a big issue IMO.